Seaford Town CouncilSeaford Town Council
Seaford Town Council, 37 Church Street, Seaford, BN25 1HG.
Tel: 01323 894870  |  Fax: 01323 872976  |  Email:

Seaford War Memorial recieves Grade II Listing!

Submitted on 14 February 2018 by STC Officers

Seaford War Memorial receives Grade II listed status!

Seaford Town Council was recently informed that The Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport has decided to add Seaford War Memorial to the List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. The memorial is now listed at Grade II. This listing helps to mark a building’s significance and celebrate its special architectural and historic interest.

Seaford Town Mayor Councillor Linda Wallraven said, “I am delighted that Seaford’s main war memorial (there are three in total) has received this recognition, at least twice a year it is the focal point of the town, it now has a recognised status all year round”.

The memorial is situated at the junction of Sutton Park Road and Avondale Road. It is a tall example of the First World War Memorial granite wheel-head cross, unveiled in 1921. Later additions for the Second World War were added for service personnel, including civilians who died as a result of enemy action.

War memorials attract considerable public interest and have warranted serious consideration for designating, especially during the centenary of the First World War

It has been listed for historical and architectural reasons. Namely: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts and because of its design.

The memorial has been moved a short distance during its existence but, overall, it is considered that the memorial has special architectural and historical interest and meets the criteria for listing.

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Seaford as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 104 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The inscriptions include the names of seven men who died on service during the Second Boer War (1899-1902).

The memorial was unveiled on 3 August 1921 at its original location on Dane Road. In 1952 it was moved about 500m to the north-east to its current location on Sutton Park Road, and the names of 88 service personnel and 20 civilians who had died in the Second World War were added. The then Chairman of the Seaford Urban District Council unveiled it on Sunday 2 November 1952 and the Vicar of St Leonard’s Church, Reverend Shillito, performed the re-dedication

Local Council Award Scheme Foundation